Scroll to Top

NAF Commissions Solar Power System at Air force Comprehensive School, Ibadan.

 The Nigerian Air Force on Friday, 18 May 2017, commissioned a Solar Power System at the Air Force Comprehensive School Ibadan.

The project was undertaken to address the problem of electric power supply, which the school had been experiencing for a while.

Speaking at the occasion, Air Officer Commanding Logistics Command, Air Vice Marshal Ibrahim Yahaya, expressed delight at the provision of the Solar Power System, which has addressed the lingering electricity problem in the school.

He stated that the project is a hybrid solar system designed to produce 80 per cent solar power while a dedicated generator would augment the remaining 20 per cent.

“That way, there would be a round the clock supply of electricity to the boys’ and girls’ hostels, medical Centre, administrative block and all the classrooms.

He added that the “solar panels on school property sends a really important message to the children about the importance of moving towards sustainable energy and reducing carbon foot print on our environment”.

Air Vice Marshal Remi Suara (rtd) who was the special guest, while commissioning the project, stated that the provision of the Solar Power System would boost instructional and learning activities as well as enhance the overall academic performance of the students.

Earlier, the Commander of 571 NAF Detachment Ibadan, Air Commodore EO Akinbayo said “the project is a watershed in the annals of the school.

“We are indeed forever grateful to our amiable Chief of the Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, for committing so much to ensure that we are adequately supported in order to be able to efficiently and effectively carry out our statutory duties”.

A statement said “The new solar power project was successfully tested for one week preceding the commissioning and within that period, there was no public power supply and the generator was not turned on at all.

“The installed system was built to supply the school with power, with minimal maintenance, for the next 10 years while the solar panels are under warranty for 25 years.

“The installation adequately powers the administrative and classroom blocks with 15.6 KVA capacity solar system and 115 kWh of battery storage.

“Similarly, the student hostels and medical centre are powered with 10.4 kVA capacity solar systems and 24 kWh of battery storage.

“The project is part of the contribution of the Nigerian Air Force to the realization of the Federal Government’s aspiration to achieving 30 per cent of renewable energy production in Nigeria by 2030.”



Like it? Share it!

Leave A Response