SPEECH BY COMMISSIONER OF POLICE, NASARAWA STATE, CP. ABUBABAR SADIQ BELLO AT THE COMMISSIONING CEREMONY OF THE NEW COMMAND HEADQUARTERS BY IGP IBRAHIM KPOTUN IDRIS, NPM, Mni ON 7TH SEPTEMBER, 2017.
It is my honour and privilege to welcome you all to this commissioning ceremony of the New Nasarawa State Police Command Headquarters in Lafia.
It is a great day in the history of the command, because it is today that we got a befitting Headquarters that officers and men of this command can be proud of, courtesy of Governor Umar Tanko Al-Makura.
Distinguish ladies and gentlemen, I want you to compare and contrast this edifice with the other party secretariat where the command headquarters has been domiciled for the past twenty years. I believe my judgment is as good as yours.
The Inspector-General of Police IGP Ibrahim K. Idris NPM, Mni posted me to Nasarawa state as the 21st Commissioner of Police about a year ago, during this period the command was able to record modest achievements in the fight against crime and criminality.
A total of 328 criminals were arrested and charged to courts, many exhibits were recovered as follows, (1) Four hundred and nineteen ammunition of various calibres (2) Seven AK 47 rifles, (3) Twelve AK 49 rifles (4) One FMC rifle, (5) Two English made pistols (6) Thirty cartridges, (7) Twenty seven vehicles, (8) Twenty eight M/cycles, (9) Forty-eight locally made pistols, (10) Nine million naira fake currency, and (11) over 700 rustled cattle.
I believe our achievements can best be appreciated when compared with happenings in the neighbouring states that have similar criminal challenges.
- Challenges – We know that we are not yet there, but we believe the above mentioned success would have been more laudable if some of the challenges confronting the command are addressed such as:-
- Paucity of manpower
- Men are transferred out of the Command almost on a daily basis without replacement. On the other hand, many of those transferred to the command don’t report at all, and in most cases the transfers are cancelled. Those that manage to report will only stay for about a month or two after which they are transferred out of the command again.
- Nasarawa state is vast with so many security challenges in different areas, as such the need to deploy PMF personnel to these trouble areas cannot be overemphasize but in most cases our PMF units are deployed to other states on special duty, leaving none for the command to utilise.
- Inadequate logistics: Lack of adequate patrol vehicles is greatly hampering visibility policing especially in the hinterland while many of the patrol vehicles are not road worthy. In addition to this, some of the Safer Highway patrol vehicles have been deployed for special duty outside the state thereby creating a vacuum on the highways.
Lack of Communication Equipments
Provision of communication equipment for the command would go along way in making easy contact between Headquarters in Lafia and the various Divisions and formation located across the state, especially in times of emergency. Effective communication provides easy and quick means of disseminating important messages and affords the Commissioner of Police another means to monitor and supervise the DPOs
- The Way Forward:
It is a fact that there is high expectations by members of the public on the Nigeria Police especially in view of the precarious security challenges bedeviling the country, however we in Nasarawa state police command are certain that we can improve on our service delivery if the minimum requirement of logistics is provided such as rejuvenation of the state owned Operation Nasara. We believe that if this is done, it will go along way in tackling violent crimes of kidnapping and armed robbery along the highways.
- Community Policing: “The basic reason for which Police exists is to prevent crime and disorder”. It is worldwide concept of proactive policing that focuses more on prevention of crime, which is largely achieved by making members of the public participate actively on security issues in their communities. E.g. Eminent Persons Forum and Police Community Relations Committee. We urge members of the public to be part of these forums because it gives them the opportunity to make input on how they are police.
- Appreciation:– My speech can not be complete without acknowledging the immense contribution of His Excellency, Governor Umaru Tanko Al-Makura towards enhancing our operational capability through his numerous assistance and support. I believe it is because of his concern for the security of the people that we are gathered here today, not too long ago the Governor provided funds for the repairs of some Divisional and Area Commands Patrol vehicles as well as those of Operation Nasara, however with a little more funds, all the command patrol vehicles will be made road worthy. This gesture amongst so many others will surely provide us with impetus to improve on our service delivery. However, I want to appeal to His Excellency not to get tired of assisting the police command after all it is said that the primary essence of governance is for the wellbeing and security of the people. On our own part we promise His Excellency, the good people of Nasarawa state and indeed the Inspector-General of Police that we will continue to put in our best in order to ensure the safety and security of all in the state and by extension for all in Nigeria.
Thank you very much for coming and God bless you all.
Leave A Response