Scroll to Top
Uncategorized

Alleged Plan by Boko Haram to attack FCT: Defence Headquarters Reassures Residents of Safety; Says Preventive & Pre-emptive Intelligence Ongoing.

Following concerns expressed by Nigerians in the FCT over suspected plans by Boko Haram cells in FCT, Kogi and Nasarawa states to attack Abuja, the military has said that the Armed Forces of Nigeria working together with other security and response agencies particularly the core intelligence agencies have commenced preventive and pre-emptive intelligence towards addresing the situation.

This was made known in a statement by the Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche  titled, “Security Alert: Defence Headquarters Assures Residents of FCT and Adjourning States of Safety”.

It reads, “The Defence Headquarters wish to reassure residents of FCT and other adjoining States that the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies have been on red alert to combat crime and ensure effective surveillance of the Federal Capital Territory and other States of the country.

 “This is imperative sequel to a purported memorandum from the Nigeria Customs Service warning it’s staff  on a possible attack on the FCT. 

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria working together with other security and response agencies particularly the core intelligence agencies hereby assure the general public that preventive and pre-emptive intelligence are ongoing. 

“The general public is thus advised to go about their lawful businesses undeterred.

“Furthermore,  the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies wish to assure the general public that the offensives against the common enemies of this Nation will not cease until normalcy is restored in all parts of the country. 

“Hence, the general public is equally enjoined to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity accordingly.”

Recall that an intelligence memo by the Nigerian Customs Service Enforcement Department had warned of possible Boko Haram attacks on Abuja and Nasarawa as well as Kogi

The memo which is internal and dated August 20, 2020, was signed by the Comptroller, Enforcement of Customs headquarters, H.A Sabo and warned all officers to be vigilant and security conscious.

Titled ‘Re: Intelligence on National Security’, it said some of the areas where officers should be vigilant include Gwagwalada, Kuje, Gegu town near Idu in Kogi and Unaisha in Toto, Nasarawa among others.

The memo said the terrorists were planning to attack some selected targets within Abuja and had already set up five camps in the area.

It rreads, “Information reaching the Comptroller-General of Customs reveals the existence of Boko Haram terrorists camps in and around the Federal Capital Territory. 


“Further reports have it that they are planning to attacks some selected targets within the territory.


“They are reported to have set up their camps in the following identified enclaves; Kunyam bush along airport road off DIA staff quarters – Abuja, Robochi/Gwagwalada forest, Kwaku Forest Kuje – Abuja, Unaisha Forest in Toto Local Government of Nasarawa State, Gegu Close To Idu Town in Kogi.


“Consequently, you are to be at alert and security conscious of your environment at all times. Ensure wide circulation please.”

END

Like it? Share it!

Leave A Response