Scroll to Top
Uncategorized

Alleged Non-Payment of Troops Allwances Not True-Defence Headquarters; says Vested interests trying to discredit military’s counter-terrorism efforts.

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed the allegations by some soldiers accusing Army Generals of embezzling allowances meant for the troops and nearly N10bn counter terrorism fund, as a mischievous efforts of some vested interests trying to undermine the successes recorded by the military against emerging security threats.
The Director of Defence Information (DDI), Brig-Gen. John Agim, in a statement on Thursday, denied the accusation stating that it was a plot aimed at distracting and discouraging counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency efforts across the country, especially in the war against Boko Haram in the North East and operations against armed bandits in the North West Nigeria.
Agim also stated that the Army is not owing soldiers any allowances, insisting that the troops of Sharan Daji and other operations are being paid their regular a till date. He added that there was no special allowance approved by the DHQ as alleged.
He urged the troops not to be distracted but disregard the “false message” and remain focused in their fight.
” I urge our gallant troops to remain focused and not distracted as the Chief of Defence Staff, General Abayomi Gabriel Olanisakin who is always concerned about the welfare of troops, knows and approves all your allowances.”
“The general public is hereby requested to disregard the false message as it is intended to distract and discourage the fighting spirit of our gallant troops.”
Emphasizing that the military is not owing troops allowances, Agim said, “The Defence Headquarters responded promptly to unwarranted killings of people in Zamfara, kebbi, Katina, Sokoto and Birni Kwari areas by establishing Operation Sharan Daji.
“So far, our gallant troops have taken the battle to the forests where the bandits and militias use as hideout before their numerous attacks on innocent citizens.
“Now that the tide has changed against the bandits, there is a plot to distract and cause disaffection among our troops with a false message circulating in the social media that the troop’s allowances are not being paid completely.”
“Let me state categorically here that, there is no other special allowance approved from Defence Headquarters than what is being paid to the troops in Operation Sharan Daji, and the troop’s allowances are paid up to date.
“In fact, even the troops August allowances have been paid to the Force Commander and arrangement has been completed to pay their August allowances by next week.”
Agim further condemned some of the reports linked to one Dr. Idris Ahmed of CUPS offering reward to expose military officers.
” There is no doubt about the fact that the criminal fugitive, Dr. Idris Ahmed of CUPS is being sponsored by yet to be identified unscrupulous elements to rubbish the image of the military for selfish reasons.
“This is made more manifest by his renewed campaign of calumny and lies. Today, he posted that they would offer N10, 000 as reward to anyone that would give them information about allegedly corrupt military officers.
He created the impression that they were working in conjunction with the EFCC,” he stressed.

END

Like it? Share it!

Leave A Response