TROOPS KILL 2 BOKO HARAM TERRORISTS AS UN RESUMES HUMANITARIAN ACTIVITIES IN NORTHEAST.
Nigerian Army soldiers combatting remnants of Boko Haram terrorists on Friday killed two of the terrorists while many escaped with gunshot wounds when the solders ambushed fleeing members of the group at Pulka.
A statement signed by Col Sani Usman, Acting Director Army Public Relations said “Toops on blocking position in Pulka yesterday Friday 29th July 2016, ambushed and killed 2 fleeing Boko Haram terrorists.
“It is equally believed one of the terrorists escaped with gun shot wounds.
“The troops also recovered 1 AK-47 rifle with registration number S 77411, a General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) with registration number FN 131908, one Motorcycle, 1 Bicycle and 5 Fabrique Nationale (FN) rifle magazines.
” Other items recovered from the terrorists include 1 AK-47 rifle magazine loaded with 28 rounds of 7.62mm (Special) ammunition, 67 rounds of 7.62mm linked (NATO) ammunition and Tecno brand of mobile telephone handset with NEXTTEL SIM card, as well as sacks of foodstuffs.
“The troops have continued their routine operations maintaining vigilance to prevent escaping Boko Haram terrorists out of Sambisa forest through that axis.
In another development, UNICEF said on Saturday that it will continue providing aid in the northeast despite attack on humanitarian convoy last Thursday which left aid workers injured.
A statement said, “UNICEF continues to provide assistance to millions of conflict-affected children in northeast Nigeria, despite yesterday’s attack on a humanitarian convoy.
“As a result of the attack, in which one UNICEF staff member was injured, travel by UN staff to high risk areas has been temporarily suspended.
“We are working at full strength in the Borno state capital Maiduguri,” stressed UNICEF Nigeria Representative Jean Gough.
“We continue to call for increased efforts to reach people in desperate need across the state.
“We cannot let this heartless attack divert any of us from reaching the more than two million people who are in dire need of immediate humanitarian assistance.”
“UNICEF has called on donors and humanitarian organizations to scale-up the response to the emerging disaster in Borno state, which is the most affected by the conflict with Boko Haram.
“Before the attack, security conditions had been improving in several areas.
“Our teams were finding people living on the brink of disaster,” said Jean Gough, “The violence has disrupted farming and markets, destroyed food stocks, and damaged or destroyed health and water facilities. We absolutely have to reach more of these communities.”
“UNICEF estimates that 244,000 children will suffer from severe acute malnutrition this year in Borno state alone and if they are not reached with treatment, one in five of them will die.
“UNICEF has provided two million people with health services and treated 56,000 children for malnutrition in the three conflict-affected states of northeast Nigeria.
“A quarter of a million people have improved access to clean water, and over 200,000 children have been able to go back to school.
Leave A Response