President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the extension of tenure of the Chief of Defence Staff, General Gabriel Abayomi Olonisakin for one year.
Reliable military sources disclosed that Buhari’s decision to extend the tenure of the CDS which would have ended this weekend, followed discovery of political maneuverings by vested interest to ensure they control the two most powerful positions in the Military.
It was further gathered that before the President ordered that General Olonisakin’s tenure be extended by one year, the CDS had commenced evacuation of his personal effect and belongings from the office.
He had no inkling that the tenure would be extended even though Mr. President can decide on such extension as provided for in Law.
The CDS, who was the Commandant of the Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) of the Nigerian Army in Niger State before his appointment, was also at one time, the Commander, Nigerian Army Signals Corp.
He also served as the Principal General Staff Officer to a former Defence Minister among several other appointments.
A presidency source who confirmed the development said the action of Mr. President has shown divine intervention in the affairs of men noting that some persons had already concluded how offices in the military will be shared, notwithstanding that promotions and appointment has the backing of God.
It will be recalled that early this month, the Defence minister issued a statement debunking media reports that the Chief of Defence Staff, General Abayomi Olonisakin and the Naval Chief, Vice Admiral Ibok Ibas had been retired and that Olonisakin’s position had been handed over to the Chief of Air staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar.
The statement signed by Col Gusau, Public Relations Officer said, “The attention of the of the Minister of defence, Mansur Mohammad Dan Ali was drawn to some media publication claiming that he has sent letters to the Chief of Defence staff, General Abayomi Olnisakin and the Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok Ibas directing them to hand over their offices on or before Friday December 16, 2016.
“Please be informed that there was no such communication between the office of the minister of Defence and the service chiefs directing any one of them to hand over his office and proceed on retirement.
“The appointment and replacement of service chiefs is a prerogative responsibility of the office of the President and Commander in Chief”, the minister said.
Leave A Response