Controller General of the Federal Fire Service FFS, Ibrahim Alhaji Liman has advised Nigerians not to expose their Band Sanitizers to fire, saying some of the chemicals used in manufacture of Sanitizers could be highly flammable.
Speaking yesterday in Abuja on the occasion of this year’s Fire Safety Week which was scaled down as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic, Liman equally urged parents to maintain vigilance and ensure that their wards do not play with flammable materials as a result of boredom caused by their forced stay at home.
Represented by the Controller in charge of Inspectorate, Investigations and Enforcement IIE, Olola Abdulganiyu Jaji, he said; “Some of these hand sanitizers contain chemicals and it can have implications, if placed near fires; it can bring about an outbreak of fire seriously, that is why Nigerians should be cautious and not expose the products to fire
“We have seen people putting hand sanitizers outside the doors of their houses or sitting rooms which is good”.
Liman said the essence of the Fire Safety Week was to sensitise the public, bearing in mind that at present family members are staying at home because of the Coronavirus.
“We want people to be aware that staying at home demands that children should be taken care of properly. If the children are not properly taken care of, fire outbreaks may occur, because some of them might play with Matches, spark plugs, Gas cylinders or even generators as a result of boredom.
“So, the Controller General in his own wisdom decided that my department should let the public know that staying at home at this moment as important as it is, people should be safety conscious and be watchful of the children to avoid fire outbreak.”
Controller Jaji also advised Nigerians to have fire extinguishers or fire blankets at home in order to help put out fires in the event of an outbreak.
He added, “When you are cooking you need to have a fire blanket in the kitchen because at any point in time if there is outbreak of fire that’s what you are supposed to use rather than using a fire extinguisher.”
Leave A Response