Scroll to Top
Featured

DHQ TO ENSURE TOTAL PROTECTION OF OIL PLATFORMS; BANS UNOFFICIAL VEHICLES FROM MILITARY HQ COMPLEX.

DHQ TO ENSURE TOTAL PROTECTION OF OIL PLATFORMS; BANS UNOFFICIAL VEHICLES FROM MILITARY HQ COMPLEX.
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) said yesterday that it will ensure total protection of oil platforms and gas pipelines in the Niger Delta noting that it has observed with dismay the unpatriotic attacks on the nation’s economic lifeline in the Niger Delta.

Also, following new security measures put in place on the orders of the Chief of Defence Staff, General Gabriel Olonisakin, all vehicles not painted in military colours including those carrying Generals of the Army, Navy and Airforce have been banned from entering the defence Headquarters complex.

Speaking on the renewed vandalism of pipelines in the Niger Delta, DHQ said, “These attacks were carried out by some criminal elements who are bent on destroying the nation’s strategic assets which will no longer be tolerated.

“The recent attacks on an oil facility in Delta state is a pointer to this direction.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the DHQ warns these criminal elements to desist from these unwholesome acts of economic sabotage in the Niger Delta region for the overall benefits of the country.

“Consequently, any individual or group of persons who engage in any act of sabotage to the nation’s strategic assets will face the full weight of the law as the military and other security agencies will ensure total protection of such facilities wherever they are in line with our constitutional mandate.

“The security of the strategic assets and any other facilities is a collective responsibilities of every patriotic and law abiding citizen especially the locals close to such valuable infrastructure.

“The DHQ urges all to cooperate with the military and other security agencies and report suspected individuals or groups for prompt action.

“The DHQ will continue to maintain a peaceful environment for economic activities to thrive while requesting law abiding citizens to go about their legitimate businesses.

On the ban of unofficial vehicles, sources disclosed that the that the order which took effect from Wednesday last week followed the meeting of all service Chiefs and the CDS in what was described as measures to check influx of vehicles from different organizations and concerns from gaining arbitrary entry into the defence complex.

Acting director Defence Information, Brigadier General Rabe Abuabakar in response to inquiries, noted that the military being custodians of security should always take necessary precaution hence the action.

He said that the decision was taken after series of meetings with all state holders involved and they all agreed that in order to decongest the complex of vehicles, only official vehicles should be allowed into the complex.

“For senior officers who have not gotten staff cars painted in military colours, the issue will be addressed soon as machinery is in place to sort them out in couple of days. But it is good for us, to always be on top of the security situation” he said.

ENDS

Like it? Share it!

Leave A Response